Thursday, February 16, 2012

Sun Spot - 2nd Try

Ok. Here it is. This is the next edit and a little continuation of the story...

Chapter 1


“What was that?” I shouted as I woke up with a start. Samantha, Sam for short, was sitting up in bed next to me, fumbling on her bed side table, looking for the light switch. When she finally found it, the tell tale click did nothing. No light. Nothing.

“The light’s broken”, she said, getting out of bed and trying the wall switch. Again, nothing.

“The power must be out”, I told her. “I’ve got a torch”. I fumbled in my bed side table’s drawer and found my torch. We both heard the click, but nothing happened.

Just then, Jenny screamed from her bedroom. She was only six years old, and still didn’t like the dark. She tended to panic when the power went out and she didn’t have her night light to see that the monsters weren’t there with her in her room.

Sam was out of our room in a flash. She was, and still is, an amazing mother, and nothing, not even the Lego block in the passage way between our rooms was going to stop her getting to Jen to help calm her.

“What’s the time?” I thought to myself as I pushed the little button on my watch to try and illuminate the face of my cheap but reliable watch. Again... nothing. Thinking that I hadn’t pushed the button hard enough, I tried again with the same result.

I was still a little groggy from being woken up prematurely. After I yawned, stretched and rubbed my eyes, I looked over at where my mobile phone was. I couldn’t see it in the dark. “Where is it?” I thought to myself. I felt for it, and sure enough, there it was, exactly where I had left it when we had come to bed. It didn’t turn on when I found and pushed the on/off switch.

The feeling that something wasn’t quite right had slowly been getting stronger as the minutes had moved on. I was trying to shrug it off, but the panic was trying to take hold of me.

My hands were shaking a little as I got up to go and join Sam and Jen. I swore as I stepped on what I assumed was the same piece of Lego that Sam had stepped on, and limped into Jen’s room, wishing, like parents all over the world, that all Lego would pick itself up when children stopped playing with it.

I could see a little light through the thin curtains in Jen’s bedroom. “Oh good.” I thought to myself when I realised that the sun would soon begin to creep above the horizon, casting what would at first be a red glow over the world that we knew. Sam turned to look at me as I hobbled into the room.

“Something strange is very wrong” I told her. “There is no electricity.”

“I can see that!” she said, a little annoyed with me for swearing in front of Jen and, stating what she thought was the obvious.

“No – There is no electricity in anything. Everything electronic is dead!” I paused for a split second, then added, “Everything!”.

“What do you mean? Everything?”, she asked. I could tell that she didn’t believe me.

“My watch. My torch. Even my cell phone isn’t working.” I answered.

“Did you remember to charge it?” Her tone this time was condescending. I could tell that she was getting worried, so I walked over and added myself to the three way hug.

“It was fully charged when we went to bed”, I told her as calmly as I could.

“Put new batteries in it daddy”, Jen innocently added. Being six years old made her an expert in everything, and she knew that was the solution to our problem. Boy did I wish it was that simple.

The first time I became aware of the rumbling, was while the three of us were holding on to each other, getting what little comfort we could in the strange circumstances. The room was getting a little lighter, but at the same time, the rumbling sound was getting a little louder.

We could feel the vibrations through our feet on the floor, and Jen’s little picture of pooh bear hanging on her cupboard began a gentle rattle. Things were getting stranger by the minute.

“Daddy, I’m scared” Jen said in her small quiet voice. She looked so small and dainty, huddled up in our arms.

“I know my love. I know.” I told her, while I stroked her head and hoped that everything was going to be ok.

The sun seemed to me to be getting higher in the sky a lot faster than usual. I was convinced that it was my imagination, but I wanted to make sure.

“I’ll be right back.” I said to my small, loving family, as I stood up, walked out of the room and got the key to the front gate of our home.

The front door lock had been broken for months, and all I had to do was hold the lever down to open it. I unlocked the gate, stepped out and looked around the corner of the house, in the direction of the rising sun.

What I saw made me empty my bladder in my pyjama pants.

The sun had just broken above the horizon, but instead of it being a little pin prick of a sliver, the sliver filled about half of the horizon. If that little tiny piece of the top of the sun filled so much of the horizon, then how big or close was the sun to the earth right now?

My mind was reeling. I couldn’t think straight. “Were we all going to die?”

I looked back over my shoulder and saw Sam standing there with a worried look on her face. Jen was holding onto her left leg, as if her life depended on it, tears of fear streaming down her cute cheeks and dripping on to her pyjama top.

“Look”, Sam said, pointing at the huge English oak tree in our front garden. The leaves were wilting and turning a grey/brown colour as we watched.

Birds were dropping from the sky and the air seemed almost like it could catch fire any second as the sun rose.


Chapter 2

The air did something unusual, even for today. It looked and felt almost like it wobbled, but not really. Jen screamed, and then everything was dark.

I could feel Sam’s hand still on my shoulder, so I quietly and as calmly as I could, said “Sam?”. I could hear the tremble in my voice.

“Here” Came her response.

“Mommy… What’s happening?” came from down below and next to Sam. It was Jen, and we could hear the fear in her voice. She was in tears, and her quiet sobs, gave us another clue as to just how scared she was. Sam and I both knew how scared Jen was in the dark. I could only imagine what was going through her young mind. Terror was all I could think about, and it sickened me to think that she was as scared as she was.

“I don’t know my love” Sam answered her as she let go of my shoulder, bent down and picked Jen up. I turned around and embraced them both. I needed the contact and the reassurance that the contact with the two ladies in my life gave me.

We were alive, but for how long?

I could still feel what felt like a solid surface below my feet, and assumed that we were in the same spot as before the darkness enveloped us, but I just couldn’t be sure. As I extended my arm out to feel for the wall and entrance to our house, I felt nothing. The house was no longer where I thought it was.

The feel of my wife and child holding on to me as I held on to them, was nice, but I was more worried and scared for our safety that at any time ever before in my life. I like to know what is going on, and at that point, I didn’t have a clue. I didn’t have any idea what had happened to us, and what was worse, I didn’t know what was going to happen either.

I could hear a small whimper coming from Jen as I tried to figure out what was happening to us, but nothing came to mind. Sam broke the silence, by asking what I was beginning to wonder. It was an amazing ability that we had. We could think almost exactly the same thing, sometimes, with one of us verbalizing it to the other’s surprise.

“Are we dead?” she asked.

“I was just thinking the same thing, but I don’t think so.” I replied.

I took a deep breath. No longer scorching , the air felt cool, going into my lungs. It was refreshing, but not cold. I couldn’t have wanted it any warmer or colder.

“I’m breathing and the air is nice. It feels perfect.” I said to no one in particular.

“I know what you mean” came Sam’s reply.  “It’s almost like the air con in set to a perfect temperature.“

If you think that there should be more to this story, you are right... There is more coming when I can get to writing more

7 comments:

  1. A good start, but this could use another draft. My two bits of advice: 1) Tighten it up. 2) Show, don't tell. (Also 3, protag hasn't sworn when Sam gets annoyed at him for swearing.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback :)

    Just BTW... "I swore as I stepped on what I assumed was the same piece of Lego that Sam had stepped on, and limped into Jen’s room, wishing, like parents all over the world, that all Lego would pick itself up when children stopped playing with it."

    Protag did swear :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This script is very much a work in progress and could do with some fleshing out to make it really come to life.

    I have an initial confusion about it, as follows: It is presented as a short story, but it isn't at the moment. It is a fragment of a piece of writing that could be a short, a novella or a novel.

    What are you writing? You don't need to fix that entirely, but a general sense of how long or short you want to make it will help you to get the tone right.

    If you are going for a novel, then you have time to set the scene more clearly. You might want to use language while doing so that engages all the senses more fully, make the reader think they are there.

    If you are going for a short story, then the characters need to be defined very quickly with a few words of description that really hit the mark.

    There are several inconsequential details to this fragment, which I guess you put in precisely to flesh out the characters and their life situations. The lego brick is an observation, but because there is little other detail about the life of the protagonist, it sticks out as a lonely extra.

    The detail about the lock on the gate is both confusing and inconsequential. There are three questions you should be asking when writing: 1) how does this move the plot forward? 2) What does it reveal about the character of the protagonist. 3) How does the movement forward in the plot reveal more about the character and vice versa?

    There are also further questions to making a coherent, believable milieu in which the characters exist, which I guess your detail attempts to answer. At the moment, it doesn't.

    Those two strands - character and plot - are in eternal symbiotic tension, in order to engage and entertain your reader.

    Don't know if you have an endpoint for the story yet, but a sense of where it is going often helps.

    There are several more points, which I don't have time for now, but overall I suggest you work it up more. An editor of mine used to advise me: "Always best to overwrite, with more description / dialogue than you need, then cut it down to the level you want."

    Rudyard Kipling put it more figuratively: "You rake out the ashes so the fire burns the brighter."

    At the moment, I would say there is a skeleton here, but no meat. Fill it out, in order to cut it back and leave the best stuff there.

    Questions to consider: What do each of your characters look like? What are their primary interests? What is their emotional drive that causes their actions? What do they do in their spare time?

    These and many more questions, while not entirely relevant to the story will inform the narrative.

    That's my two penn'orth.

    Keep going.

    Matt Wingett
    www.lifeisamazing.co.uk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW!!!

      Thank you for the detailed critique. I really appreciate it. There is quite a lot for me to contemplate.

      Just to answer what type of story this is... It's supposed to be a short story that has to be between 500 and 3000 words. In my opinion, that isn't really long wnough to get into too much detail about the characters. If you aren't getting much detail about them, that is why, but I can see that I need to develop them a bit more.

      I don't get a lot of time to write, but I'm getting to really enjoy telling the story, so I might convert it from the short story into a novella or maybe, if I can keep my interest going, into a full blown novel.

      Thank you again for taking the time to read, and give me so much feedback.

      Delete
  4. I really like this story, the anticipation keeps you reading happily til the end :D In my opinion I would prefer it if it was in 3rd person, but that's just personal preference :) only thing I can criticise is the part “Something strange is very wrong” - maybe if he said "Something strange is going on" or sumit. Apart from that I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is an interesting start and I agree with a number of points already mentioned above. I was also confused by the sentence "Something strange is very wrong". Too many words perhaps? I would also like the story to have more depth, these dramatic events are taking place and yet we know very little about the characters and therefore feel very little empathy or concern. I thought I was going to start reading a short story and reach it's conclusion quickly so to get to Chapter 2 confused me!!
    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this story, but as others have said it needs work. In a short story we need to visualize the characters right away. We need to know the problem quickly and then the solution or outcome. By calling these chapters, you are leaning toward a novella or novel. It's another decision to be made. I think you are on the right path.

    ReplyDelete